Hello my friends,
Per request I’m going to share with you what I’ve learned in regards to proper skin care use and how it effects our bodies either positively or negatively.
“A study published in the American Journal of Public Health looked into the skin’s absorption rates of chemicals found in drinking water. It showed that the skin absorbed an average of 64% of total contaminant dosage. Other studies found the face to be several times more permeable than broad body surfaces and an absorption rate of 100% for underarms and genitalia. And another peer-reviewed study showed 100% absorption for fragrance ingredients” (1).
So per the above observations I’d say it’s fare to say that our skin is a huge proponent of what enters our bodies as well as even potentially our blood stream.
If you’ve read our ‘Welcome’ page you know that I’ve been on a bit of a health journey myself. And as I began working towards healing my body from the outside in, naturally I started with what I was putting into my body through my mouth :). So, I changed my diet. However as time went by and I continued to do research I realized that our skin is the largest organ in our bodies and is also a huge proponent to what enters our bodies.
After finding this valuable information out I began changing not only what I put into my body through my mouth, but also what I put into my body through my skin. This meant I changed my dishwasher soap, my body soaps, my creams, lotions, shampoos, detergents…everything.
The problem is that there are a lot of products out there that claim the ‘natural’ label and yet still have many harmful ingredients, so how do we know what to look for?
In all honesty, it’s a difficult task. It’s very helpful to find a company, that stands on the same pure ingredient standards as your own. I’ve found once I do my research and find a good company then I’m able to buy most of their products because I trust them so I can trust their products.
So the biggest things I look out for when checking labels is synthetic ingredients such as:
Some of my favorite companies that I gravitate towards to get the clean household products I need are as follows:
– ThriveMarket.com (Household, skin care and food products)
– Vitacost.com (Household, skin care, supplements, shampoo and food products)
– BurtsBees.com (Skin care products)
– Trader Joe’s Grocery Store (Household, skin care and food products – love their fennel toothpaste)
– Seventh Generation Products (Household products – love their dishwasher soap)
– Norwex.com (Household and skin care products – love their cleaning cloths)
– The Honest Company (More for infant and children’s products, but are some household products also)
– Meyer’s Cleaning Products (household products)
– Young Living (Skin care, household products, essential oils – love their essential oils)
– Lifevantage.com (Skin care, supplements, shampoo – love their supplements)
– Amazon.com (Love them for everything, but you have to know what you’re looking for – I love getting my foundation off of Amazon Natural Coverage Liquid Mineral Foundation Makeup, along with my Physicians Formula eye make-up)
Hope this was helpful! I may do more in depth posts in the future specifically on what products I use for what.
Leave a comment bellow! I’d love to hear from you!
Wishing you the best!