My husband, Caleb, found this amazing paleo gingersnap cookies a couple months ago and it has become a family favorite ever since! It’s originally taken from the Primal Palate blog.
Be sure to make them when you have lots of friends and family around, otherwise you may find yourself eating the full batch all by yourself… haha :).
- 1 cup Blanched Almond Flour
- 1 cup Tapioca Starch (or arrowroot starch)
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 cup Organic Palm Oil Shortening, or unsalted grass-fed butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup Maple Sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Molasses
- 1 whole Egg, large
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the blanched almond flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, sea salt, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, and allspice.
- In a large mixing bowl, or in a standing kitchen mixer, cream the shortening and maple sugar, until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, and blend again until smooth.
- Add the molasses and the egg to the sugar mixture, and blend again until nice and creamy.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, a little bit at a time, blending after each addition of flour, until you have a well combined cookie dough. The dough should firm enough that it can be rolled into small balls at this point.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes so that it can be even more easily rolled into small balls for baking.
- Preheat the oven to bake at 350 degrees. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the chilled dough from the fridge, and roll into small balls (a little smaller than a walnut in its shell).
- At this point you can roll the balls in a light coating of granulated organic cane sugar if desired. They are great without the added sugar as well.
- Place the balls of dough onto your parchment lined baking sheet, spaced a couple inches apart. These cookies spread a lot, so give them room.
- Bake the cookies at 350, on the middle rack, in the center of the oven, for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
***You can find the original recipe here: Gingersnap Cookies, Primal Palate.
Enjoy my friends!!