Hello my friends!! My husband and I have recently been on a journey to keep our sugar levels in a healthy range. That means we’ve taken our paleo diet to the next level of KETO :). There are various ideas out there of what a Keto diet looks like, but we hold most closely to Dr. Axe’s Keto diet as we feel it is the most balanced and safe view of the diet.
Of course, this means that in starting our new journey we are back in the kitchen creating new tasty baked goods that help us stay on track! And in light of the Keto movement we find ourselves in today, we are especially excited to share these recipes with you! Our first successful Keto recipe is a chocolate peanut butter bar, revolutionized by my husband Caleb and spun from beamingbakery.com.
So without further ado, here’s how you get these tasty treats from your kitchen’s pantry into your mouth! 🙂
Peanut Butter Layer
- 1 cup natural, unsalted peanut butter
- The sugar free syrup:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup Swerve (or any sugar replacement you choose)
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (we use LIlly’s Stevia sweetened, Dark Chocolate Chips)
- ½ cup unsalted, natural peanut butter
- 1/8 cup Swerve (or any sugar replacement you choose)
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment or wax paper. Clear some space in the freezer for this pan. Set aside at room temperature.
- Make your homemade sugar free ‘syrup’: in a small sauce pan, pour 1/2 cup water in the pan, turn on medium heat. Pour in 3/8 cup Swerve. Stir until sweetener is fully dissolved (if you desire you can omit this step and pour the ingredients -1/2 cup water, 3/8 cup swerve – straight into the peanut butter layer mix. If you do go this route, you may feel the grain of the sugar substitute in the bar).
- Make the peanut butter layer: In a medium bowl, add Peanut Butter Layer ingredients: 1 cup peanut butter, your 1/2 cup of home made ‘syrup’ (or pour directly into the mixture the 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup of Swerve), and ½ cup coconut flour. Whisk until thickened and difficult to stir. Switch to folding with a rubber spatula until well-incorporated.
- Transfer this mixture into the prepared baking pan. Using the rubber spatula, smooth into an even layer. Set aside.
- Make the chocolate topping: Use the double boiler method or the following. Add Chocolate Topping ingredients to a medium, microwave-safe bowl: 1 cup chocolate chips, ½ cup peanut butter and 1/8 cup Swerve. Heat in 20-second increments until chocolate is softened and melted. Stir in between heating, until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the peanut butter layer. Using a clean rubber spatula, smooth chocolate into an even layer. Tap the pan a few times to help even out the chocolate.
- Transfer pan to freezer. Freeze for 45-60 minutes, or until hardened. Remove from freezer and slice into 16 squares. Enjoy!
*Note these bars are best if stored in an air tight container in the the refrigerator.